Coastal Maine Botanical Gardens is hiring!
Are you a student who is passionate about plants and our environment, loves collecting data, and committed to supporting the Gardens’ IDEA (Inclusion, Diversity, Equity, and Accessibility) goals? We're looking for a Plant Records Curation Intern excited about inspiring meaningful connections among people, plants, and nature in one of the most beautiful settings in Maine. See the full listing on our website: https://www.mainegardens.org/employment/
The Plant Records Curation Intern will gain hands-on experience in data recording, mapping, and imaging the Gardens’ living collections. With the opportunity to work throughout CMBG’s diverse garden spaces and engage with plants each day, this intern will be immersed in the daily operations and deep project work that form the backbone of plant records work. This will include updating our plant records database and our accompanying web portal, Garden Explorer, thereby improving delivery of our living collections information to the public, staff, and volunteers, increasing the engagement and dissemination of educational content to these audiences.
Full-time, hourly, $15.75 per hour
Late May through Mid-August 2023
Apply by emailing your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Coursework or training in plant science, botany, horticulture, or a related field.
- Familiarity with the conventions of plant nomenclature.
- Experience using databases, spreadsheets, and GIS is preferred but not required.
- Commitment to working across the organization to support the integration of IDEA (Inclusion, Diversity, Equity, and Access) principles into CMBG’s internal operations and its relationships with visitors and guests.
Under the supervision of the Plant Science and Collections Specialist, and using various software and mapping equipment, the intern will:
- Assist with photographing the living collections.
- Assist with data recording and database updates for the living collections.
- Assist with mapping the living collections.
- Assist with creating display plant labels and accession tags.
- Work collaboratively with a team of staff and volunteers.