2021 Summer Intern Program (6/1/2021 - 7/23/2021)
(Paid internship with free on-site housing plus free utilities)
Founded in 2014, the Piedmont Physic Garden is a nonprofit botanical garden located in the historic section of Union, South Carolina. Upon completion, the garden will feature several ornamental vistas in addition to our existing apothecary/physic garden.
The 8-week college internship program is designed to offer "hands-on" experience with a "start-up" nonprofit organization.
Our interns will have responsibilities in four (4) key areas:
Public Relations and Marketing
1) Research and write several short articles on a variety of topics for PPG's blog.
2) Update the website as needed.
3) Write press releases as needed.
4) Assist staff with developing marketing strategies for effective community engagement and outreach.
1) Assist staff with pruning, dividing, mulching, fertilizing. transplanting, managing pests and plant installation as needed.
2) Assist staff with weed management as needed.
3) Assist staff with turf management as needed.
4) Water areas that are not on the irrigation system.
5) Actively participate in keeping the campus clean of trash and debris.
6) Adhere to high aesthetic standards throughout the premises.
1) Maintain database for all plants in the garden.
2) Research the medicinal and cultural meaning and uses of the herbs and plants.
3) Explore the historical collaboration between modern medicine practitioners and native healing traditions in phytotherapy, ethnobotany and pharmacy.
4) Recommend additional herbs and plants to add to the garden through research and wild crafting.
1) Arrange and lead garden tours
2) Assist with organizing and facilitating activities for open houses
3) Monitor group field trips with outside organizations
4) Assist staff in developing horticultural and environmental education curriculum for grades K-12 as well as for adult continuing education classes.
5) Assist with adding to PPG's online resource library, to include curriculum materials and/or resources.
III. Intern Responsibilities
Positions run for 8 weeks
Starts: Tuesday, June 1st
Ends: Friday, July 23rd
Work schedule is Monday - Friday from 8:00 to 4:00 with flexibility to work on weekends when needed.
1) Excellent interpersonal and written communication skills.
2) Strong organizational and time-management skills.
3) Familiarity with Microsoft Word and Excel.
4) Ability to work independently in a "start-up" environment.
5) Energetic, hard-working and enthusiastic team player.
* Ability to lift fifty pounds, willingness to work in adverse weather conditions and a valid driver's license are required.
PPG offers free on-site housing with free utilities and free internet plus a weekly stipend of $7.25 per hour.
Please apply by Wednesday, May 12th
Submit a cover letter, resume and three (3) references to: